<< Back to main

NHCS Newsletter, Fall Session Week 8, Acadian Redfish

Posted 10/10/2016 4:52pm by Andrea Tomlinson.

NH Community Seafood 

Community Supported Fishery

Eat Fresher Fish.  Support Your Fishing Community.


We are already in Week 8 of our Fall Session. For those of you who have signed up for the 8-week Session and would like to continue to receive our fresh, local fish until Dec. 2, you can extend your Membership here, but please wait until tomorrow morning (when our prorated week updates) to do so. 

Our NH Fishermen continue to fight to maintain their livelihood. Two of our fishermen, Captain Jamie Hayward and Captain Neil Pike, were featured in the Portsmouth Sunday Herald's Seacoast Sunday. See the article here.

By buying fish from our cooperatively owned CSF, we are helping to support the remaining NH Fishermen who are left. Our cooperative was formed by fishermen for fishermen. In our Coop, Fishermen own 80% and our consumer Shareholders own the remaining 20%.

Calling all Night Owls! You now have the opportunity to HOLD your share, order your Add-ons and Additional Fish for the week up until 12 midnight on Mondays! See below for details.

Our Catch of the Week will be delectable Acadian Redfish, Sebastes fasciatus and otherwise called  "Ocean Perch".  This big eyed fish looks like a tropical fish from the islands. A member of the Rockfish (grouper) family, the Redfish is a deep water, goggle eyed, slow-growing, fish that spans from Norway to Georges Bank in our Atlantic Ocean. Not to be confused with red drum, a southern species down south, the Redfish births live young (very rare with fish) and can live to be up to 50 years old! This species, once thought of as by-catch or lobster bait, is quickly becoming one of the more popular fish in the US, especially here in New England!


The fillets on these fish are thin and delicate but have a distinctly sweet flavor. You will receive your fillets with the red skin on. Remember, the skin of the fish is where most of the healthy Omega-3 oils are stored AND they add a lot of flavor when cooking. Try them in fish tacos, sautéed in butter with lemon and garlic or on the grill in tin foil. Here is a link to a number of great redfish recipes on our Pinterest Page:https://www.pinterest.com/nhcsf/acadian-redfish/. And remember the cardinal rule for cooking fish10 minutes per inch, including flip time! Because these fillets are very thin, you will therefore only need to cook them for a few minutes each side!


Our Fishermen this week is Captain Tim Daggett of the F/V Angela Michelle. We are also getting fish from our guestboat friends on the F/V Teresa Marie III out of Gloucester, Mass to make up this week's catch!


 F/V Angela Michelle awaits its next trip


Acadian Redfish fresh off the boat
(Courtesy of Portland Fish Exchange)

Additional Fish Orders and Lobster Ravioli Add-ons:

If you love Redfish or just need some extra fish this week, we are now offering our Additional Fish Orders to be made until 12 midnight tonight.



 We have a limited supply of our Lobster Ravioli Add-Ons left! They freeze well, so get them before they are gone! You have until tonight, Monday at 12 midnight to order these delicious treats to be included in your share for this week!

Additional fish will come in 1lb and 2lb packages and the Lobster Ravioli will now be labelled with your name on the bag and placed on top of the coolers.


NEW HOLDS POLICY if you don't care for Catch of the Week:

Don't like Redfish? You can now HOLD your share for the week, up until 12 midnight tonight and DOUBLE UP on a different catch of the week in the Session. You can also use the HOLD feature for week's which you are on vacation or are unable  to pick up your share. Please do all holds via our Member Login on our website, which gives you the flexibility to choose your own dates. 

We have an exciting new Add-on available to Members from NHCS Shareholder and Member, Cinde Vandette, called Nuts over Fish! Available in 3oz packages and 6 nut flavors (including Sugar Free), Nuts over Fish is a delicious fish topping blend of nuts and herbs to compliment any of our fresh fish! To order, click here.


    Almond Nut- One of 6 toppings available as our new Add-on item!



 Pistachio, Macadamia or Almond Toppings Available 


We are delighted to be able to offer our Members this diverse variety of specialty items! Please note, to order Add-ons, you must be paid in full for your fish share and use a credit or debit card to purchase.

Thank you so very much for your continued support for our NH Fishing Community!

Enjoy the Redfish,





Andrea Tomlinson

Manager, New Hampshire Community Seafood

(603) 767-7209

Add widgets here through the control panel: Display / Widgets